Celebrating Earth Day 2021; Boral Roofing’s Environmental Efforts
Today, April 22nd, we are celebrating Earth Day 2021! We think it is important to do our part to protect our environment through taking necessary steps in our manufacturing processes to minimize our carbon footprint!
At Boral Roofing, we try to do our best to make our products as environmentally friendly as possible! Our Clay & Steel products are made with 100% recyclable materials, with most Clay products featuring a Cradle to Cradle Certification!
Our Concrete roof tile, made from basic raw materials, has long been an integral part of sustainable-built structures. Waste minimization has long been a priority for Boral Roofing. Boral Roofing has integrated the reuse of process wastes such as reject tile and wastewater and put them back into the manufacturing process. To this end, Boral Roofing has installed both wastewater and reject tile-recycling systems into multiple manufacturing facilities, investing millions of dollars to achieve its goal.
Wastewater generated from waste slurries, wash water, or other process is now vacuum filtered and then both the water and the solids from the treatment are used in the manufacturing processes. Similar systems are in the majority of our plants.
The reject tile crushing system involves material being passed through a vibrating feeder that sifts out non-tile material and larger pieces of tile discards. It then crushes and screens the smaller pieces of reject tile until proper particle size is achieved. Once the reject product is crushed and screened to its finest level, it is re-entered into the regular production process for reuse in new product. Larger pieces of discard tile that are sifted out in the first part of the process are manually reduced to a smaller size before being introduced back into the first step of the process. This material, previously a reject, returns to the process and saves new or “virgin” material from being used, and prevents the reject product from being carted off to landfills.
In addition to our recycling efforts Boral Roofing is also leading the industry in other environmental areas. Current projects include:
Boral Roofing’s future remains open to possibilities, but one thing is sure, environmentally conscious programs will be an integral part of it.
- Replacement of petroleum based products with vegetable based products.
- Testing more environmentally friendly raw materials.
- Recycling our wastewater back into the product.
- Installation of better air pollution control equipment.
- Elimination of waste materials through reuse and better production practices.
Benefits of Concrete Roofing Tile Recycling
Concrete tile roofs have such a long lifespan that recycling is almost an added benefit. While other roofing materials – particularly petroleum-based and fossil-fuel dependent asphalt shingles – clog landfills, our concrete tile’s longevity reduces the need for re-roofing. But when the time comes to replace a tile roof, it’s helpful to remember that concrete tiles are mineral-based, nontoxic, and can be reused in manufacturing.
The bottom line: a longer-lasting roof with a lower carbon footprint
- Over the long-term, Boral Roofing offers the most cost-effective solution for durability, aesthetics and the environment.
- Simply put, concrete roof tile offers the best value in a roof over the long term.
- Boral Roofing’s product range includes profiles that emulate wood shake, slate and Spanish clay tiles – for both new construction and reroof applications.
- With the inherently sustainable properties of concrete roof tile and proprietary roof components, Boral Roofing’s Energy Efficient Roof System will protect the structure for decades while offering the added benefit of energy savings.
- Boral Roofing products carry a fully transferable, non-prorated limited lifetime warranty, are Class A fire rated and have one of the best hail ratings in the industry.
- Boral Roofing roof tiles have a small carbon footprint due to the environmentally conscious manufacturing process, plant to market transport radius, inherent sustainability and energy efficiency on the roof, and ultimately, its re-use and recyclability.
In addition, you can read about the sustainability of our Clay and Concrete products in an article by Elemental Green: Here
Our Cool Roof System also provides relief for the environment as it assists in reducing energy bills for people who have a Boral Roof on their home or building; effectively reducing the home’s need to draw extra energy!
You can also watch the ‘Zero Energy America’ Video Documentary on our YouTube Channel or by clicking the videos to the right of this post!